Herringbone Scrap Cat Card
Bust your paper scraps with this Herringbone Scrap Cat Card! I used the Wild Cats bundle for this easy technique and show how to create your own design here.
The herringbone pattern is one of my favorites because it looks fancy but is very easy to create! It’s an arrangement of rectangles that is often found in bathroom tiles, wallpaper, and clothing, so why not in the cards you make?
I have shown previously a tutorial for a herringbone card that is perfect for the holidays. Similarly, it used those tiny scraps that we all accumulate.
The difference is that these strips of DSP are cut to 1/2” x 1 1/2” — which are a bit smaller! This is the smallest size I keep, because if I kept even tinier pieces my pile would become an overwhelming mess!
This Herringbone design looks great with loud prints in this pack of paper, but also looks good with more subtle papers. Try it with your favorite (i.e. only scraps are left) designer series paper!
See below for how to create a Herringbone Scrap card featuring a Wild Cat:
How to make a Herringbone Scrap Cat Card:
Cut your cardstock:
- Cajun Craze
- 8 1/2” x 5 1/2”, folded at 4 1/4” for your card base
- Scrap for circle
- Crushed Curry
- 4” x 5 1/4”
- 2” x 5 1/8”
- In The Wild Designer Series Paper scraps
- White scrap for the tiger
Create your Herringbone Scrap layer:
- First, cut your scraps to 1/2” x 1 1/2”. I made this one with a piece of each design in the pack (12 different designs), but cut what you have! I recommend at least 5-6 different designs.
- Next, find the center of your small Crushed Curry piece. Place one of your cut paper scraps at an angle with the top corner touching the center. I don’t glue down until I am happy with my pattern.
- Add the rest of your cut scraps in a herringbone pattern like shown above with a small gap between each piece. The top pieces are at a 45 degree angle. Let the pieces overlap the edges until the whole piece is covered.
- Then glue each piece down and trim the overlapped edges.
- Stamp your sentiment with Cajun Craze ink on the lower left side of the large Crushed Curry piece. Then adhere your Herringbone layer at the top.
- Using glue dots or a thin line of glue, adhere 8” of ribbon across the front of the layer and wrap around to the back. Next adhere your layer to your cardbase.
- Dry Emboss the Cajun Craze circle with the Animal Prints folder. Then, stamp your tiger, die-cut it out, and adhere it to the circle.
- Lastly, adhere the tiger circle to your card front!
Supplies for this Herringbone Scrap Cat Card:
Thanks for joining me in my Craft Closet today! I hope you enjoyed making this scrap-busting card. Subscribe to my Stampin Newsletter and get notified about FREE online craft classes, tutorials, freebies, and more! (It’s FREE!)
How about making a few similar projects? Click on the images below to find the tutorials!