Meerkat Pop-Up Box Card
I couldn’t wait to make this Meerkat Pop-Up Box Card!
Sometimes when we look through a new catalog or see a new stamp set, it can be difficult to decide what you want to create with it. However, the moment I first saw this stamp set, I KNEW it was begging to be a Pop-Up Box!
Besides, this stamp set is FREE from now until March 31, 2020, with a $50 Stampin’ Up purchase! It doesn’t get better than that! Wanna see all of the free sets you can earn? Check out the Sale-A-Bration catalog!
Pop-up boxes look intimidating, but if you haven’t made one yet, I promise they are easier than they may look! Consider giving one a go. Additionally, this stamp set is well-suited for the fun fold! Birthday cards are a great time to create captivating (“meer-KATivating?” Ha ha) scenes, and this one definitely says “celebration!”
These little meerkats are “merely” popping up to say happy birthday to your lucky card recipient!
Bonus: Very few supplies are needed for this fun card, too! One (free) stamp set, one ink pad, 2 cardstock colors, and a few markers to color! See below for the supplies you’ll need and the steps to take for making this Meercat Pop-Up Box!
Steps to make this Meerkat Card:
1. Cut your Card Stock.
- Garden Green: Cut a piece of card stock in half for a 5 1/2″ x 8 1/2″. Follow the below template to score and cut your card.
- Sahara Sand:
Flaps and around the box, you’ll need 7 pieces: 1 3/4″ x 2 1/2″.
Back panel (where you can write a message and sign your name): 1 3/4″ x 5 1/4″.
Inside the box, 2 strips: 3/4″ x 3 1/4″. Score 5/8″ from each edge (leaving 2″ in the center), and a few scraps.
2. Stamp your images on the Sahara Sand Pieces.
- Using black ink, stamp the cacti (and maybe a cute lizard) on the 3 pieces for the bottom of the box and the back panel.
- Next, color in you images with markers, and adhere to your box as shown.
- Using black ink, stamp a lot of meerkats and a sentiment (and cacti if you want) on the 4 pieces for the flaps of the box.
- Color in with markers, and adhere as shown to your box flaps.
3. Create the pop-up pieces for inside the box.
- On a scrap piece of Sahara sand, stamp the group of meerkats and the one popping up from his burrow. Color them in using the light and dark Crumb Cake Blends markers. Cut them out (either fussy cut or with use a precision knife).
- Adhere these meerkats to the top of the Sahara sand strips you cut at the beginning.
- Next, adhere the right scored flap of your strips right below the scored mid-line of the second panel on your box, as seen in the below picture.
4. Close the box!
- Add Tear and Tape adhesive to your 1/2″ flap as well as the edges of the meerkat strips for the inside of the box. Remove the backing and press the box closed.
Tip: To ensure the box will fit in an envelope, add your adhesive, and then fold the box closed flat over the flaps.
Supplies for a Meerkat Pop-Up Box:
And the best part? It still fits in an envelope! Fold it flat, and the meerkats turn to the side and hide inside!
Like on a lot of my posts featuring adorable animals, here’s a fun fact: Meerkats are not part of the cat family, but will bark to warn of a predator. Also, a group of them is referred to as a “mob,” “gang,” or “clan.”
I really enjoyed making this Meerkat pop-up box card. Likewise, I enjoyed sharing it with you. I hope this tutorial helps to decrease the scariness of making a pop-up box card!
Now want to make other fun fold cards?? See a few examples below and click on them for the easy step-by-step guides!
Thanks for “popping in” today! It would be wonderful if you subscribed — don’t miss any crafting awesomeness! Happy Crafting!