We are a hockey household. And living in Pittsburgh has ensured our love of the Penguins. Black and gold flows, and we are so glad that it’s finally hockey season again!
We had a few thin cardboard pieces featuring our favorite team. Do you ever save these types of scraps from old tissue boxes or flyers? I typically use my stamps to make cards and scrapbooks, but I wanted to create some home decor for the start of hockey season!!
Steps to Create A Sports Sampler:
- I’m using the back of a stand-up calendar from last year which measures 7 1/2″ square, but you could also use a piece of cardboard as the backing, similar to the backing I used for this Nautical Home Decor.
- I cut a 7 1/2″ square of Daffodil Delight cardstock and a 7″ square of Black cardstock. Finding your teams colors is easy! Check at the end of the tutorial to find your NHL team colors!
- I placed the largest Penguins logo in the center, and used Dimensionals to pop it up and give the decoration some dimension. That left me with about 2″ of black border around the penguin, so I cut 1 1/2″ strips of Daffodil Delight. You’ll need 4- 1 1/2″ squares and 4 1 1/2″ x 4″ rectangles.
- Now let’s decorate those squares and rectangles!! I mostly used the Making Every Day Bright stamp set. Between those penguins and the “snow” border, they were too cute. I stamped the penguins on white cardstock scrap, colored in the hat with my yellow marker, and punched each penguin out using the Christmas Bulb Builder punch. Punches make everything so much easier!
- Lastly, I stamped “Celebrate” from a previous sale-a-bration set along with some bursts on the corners.
This sampler was quick and easy to make, and you can make yours with your favorite team. Grab a few pieces with the logo and name, and create a few squares and voila! A sampler that’s perfect for cheering on your team!
Some team colors to try with your sampler!
Don’t see your favorite NHL team or are more of a football/baseball/basketball/other sports fan? Email me at email@example.com and I’ll help you find the matching cardstock and/or ink colors for your project!
I hope you liked this tutorial. Which team or sport would you make it for? Let me know in the comments! Happy Crafting!