Less can be More when Embossing and Coloring
After my watercoloring craze, I picked out a few prismacolor pencils and decided to do some Embossing and Coloring. I love working with black paper (like with this fun card or this crafty sensation), but it can sometimes be hard to make the image stand out.
Embossing is a good start, but I found using these pencils can bring the beautiful images to life.
Embossing lets you keep the layers to a minimum while still having a great focal point.
Supplies Used for Embossing and Coloring:
How-to make these cards:
- Cut bright blue cardstock 8 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ and fold in half to create your 4 1/4″ x 5 1/2″card base.
- Using versamark, stamp your image and sentiment onto 4″ x 5 1/4″ black cardstock.
- Quickly sprinkle images with your embossing powder and tap off excess.
Pro-Tip: If you are stamping multiple images together to be embossed, and they are layered, masking can be impossible without wiping off your embossing powder. With the chrysanthemum, I stamped the flower and sprinkled the gold embossing powder and tapped it off. I then inked just the top of the leaves, and stamped it where I wanted it and sprinkled the powder and tapped it off. Where the leaves overlapped the petals, I took a small tool (a paperclip could work too) to remove the powder from the middle of the petals.
- Heat your image with a heat tool.
- Color the “empty spaces” of your image with the prismacolor pencils. I use my darker colors first for the inside parts that are likely to have more shadows, then finish with the lighter colors.
- Pardon but I was in a bit of a blue period! But this did make for a semi-matching set of Clean And Simple cards!
- If necessary, adhere dimensionals to pop-up the focal point.
- Adhere your finished black cardstock to your blue card base.
The challenges I am playing along with:
- Addicted to Stamps – Make your Mark
- Stamping Sensations – In My Garden
- Sunny Day Crafting – Animals
- Animal Friends Challenge – In The Water
- Happy Little Stampers CAS – Animals
I hope this tutorial inspired you to create some fun projects! I’d love to see any of your cards that this tutorial may have inspired! Thanks for reading and Happy Crafting!!
You have created a very dramatic collection of cards, many thanks for joining in with our ‘In my Garden’ theme at Stampinc Sensations challenge.
Thank you so much! It’s a great challenge too!
Cute! Thanks for joining us at Sunny Day Crafting.
🙃 Thanks Janis!
Beautifully crisp and neat embossing, obviously done with great skill and care!
Thanks so much for joining Happy Little Stampers CAS Challenge!
That means so much Chrissie! Thank you for leaving your thoughts! 🙂
A very elegant card
Thanks for joining us at stamping Sensations this month
Thanks Joan. I appreciate it!
Stunning set of cards!!! The gold on dark makes everything shine beautifully. Thank you for sharing your card with ATSM!
Thank you! I was timid to try it!
Sorry I’m so late visiting. What a gorgeous selection of cards. Those colours on the black are stunning, the blue in particular. Thanks so much for playing along at Happy Little Stampers CAS Challenge, Anita x
It’s never too late, Anita! I’m so glad you stopped by and I really appreciate your words. Thank you 🙂