Floating Sunset Palm Card
A Floating Sunset Palm Card is a great way to wish a happy retirement! It is made with the scrap-busting Floating Strips technique — and here are the easy steps!
Nothing says paradise like the silhouette of a palm tree in front of a warm setting sun.
From the cardstock scraps I’ve been saving, I have a lot of 1/2” strips of many colors. When I put these together (see the color list below in the supplies section), it subsequently creates that warm feeling.
Paired with the Floating Strips technique, this sunset is a feature for a relaxing card made with the Paradise Palms stamp set.
So use some of your scraps and create this sunset card at the same time!
See below for how to create this Palm Card with the Floating Strip Technique:
How to make a Floating Sunset Palm Card:
Cut your cardstock:
- Gray Granite
- 4 1/4” x 11”, folded at 5 1/2” for your cardbase
- 4” x 5 1/4”. Emboss this with the Tasteful Textiles folder
- Window Sheet/ Acetate: 3 1/2” x 3 1/2”
- Sunset-colored scraps: cut 1/2” strips. You’ll need 5-6, depending on the size of circle your chose.
- From 2 of these scraps, cut an extra 3/4” strip and a 1/4” strip.
Create the Floating Sunset:
- Die-cut your window sheet with a large circle. Mine is a 3 1/4” circle, but yours can be bigger or smaller if you’d like. I do this step before adding the strips to minimize the number of layers my die-cutting machine needs to cut through.
- Next, adhere your 1/2” strips of cardstock across your window sheet circle in stripes.
- To complete your sunset, trim the strips that overlap over the circle. I find this easier to do from the back of the circle.
- With Black Memento ink, stamp a palm tree on a scrap of Gray Granite and then fussy-cut it out. Adhere the top over your “sunset” leaving the trunk below.
- Stamp the sentiment on the 3/4” Pumpkin Pie strip of cardstock. Then cut the edge into a banner and adhere it with the 1/4” strip of Real Red to the embossed layer. Next adhere this layer to your card base.
- Use dimensionals to adhere the sunset and palm tree to your card front.
Supplies for a Floating Sunset Palm Card:
Cardstock Colors for Floating Sunset
Thanks for joining me in my Craft Closet today! I hope you enjoyed learning how to make this card. Subscribe to my Stampin Newsletter and get notified about FREE online craft classes, tutorials, freebies, and more! (It’s FREE!)
How about making a few similar projects? Click on the images below to find the tutorials!
I have yet to try this technique and it looks so awesome on your beautiful card! 🙂
Thank you! I hope you try it soon — especially if you have as many 1/2” strips in your scrap pile!