Lasting Lily Sympathy Card – Chalkboard Emboss and Color Technique
This Lily Sympathy Card uses an easy technique to create a subtle look. Sympathy cards are always difficult to make.
Because of this, I prefer to create them when I don’t immediately need them. That way, I’ll have a few ready to send when needed and it’s a bit easier to design something with the appropriate tone when I’m not short on time or when words are hard to find.
Looking for a way to show off white lilies, I grabbed my black cardstock.
This card uses the Lasting Lily Stamp Set, free from Stampin’ Up when you place a $100 order during Sale-a-bration. I’m so glad I ordered this set — the sentiments make it easy to create beautiful projects with just the right words.
See below for the chalkboard technique I used to create this lily sympathy card with subtle colors on a bold black background.
Steps for the Chalkboard technique:
- Cut your Papers.Basic Black: 8 1/2″ x 4 1/4″ for the cardbase and 4 1/8 x 3 3/4″ for the lillies.
- Crushed Curry: 3 strips 1 1/2″ x 4″.
- 2. Create your Lillies.Rub the embossing buddy on your black rectangle. This decreases the chance of stray white splatters.
- Stamp your lillies with versamark ink.
- Sprinkle white embossing powder over the lillies and tap off the excess.
- Heat the powder until it melts.
- Color with Granny Apple Green and Daffodil Delight Stampin Blend markers.
- When dry, cut into 3 equal strips, 1 3/8″ wide.
- 3. Assemble and Adhere your pieces.Adhere your lily strips to the crushed curry strips, and attach to your cardbase.
- Stamp your sentiment on a scrap of crushed curry with black ink, cut out, and adhere with dimensionals towards the bottom of your card.
- Adhere 3 sequins or gems to the card corner.
Supplies for a Lily Sympathy Card:
I first tried coloring the lilies and stems with stampin write markers (water-based), but the colors didn’t expand the way I wanted it to, so I tried stampin’ blend markers (alcohol based). These gave a more equal distribution and saturation of the colors. Both worked, but the Blends gave the deep result I was looking for.
I’m playing along with the following challenges:
- The Crafter’s Cafe Challenge – #213 Embossing
- The Flower Challenge – #29 Use your latest Stamps or Dies
- Crafty Sentiments – Spring!
Are you looking for more sympathy cards? Check out a few Pet Sympathy Cards. Sadly, we need those too often as well.
Such a lovely card Laura! such pretty lilies and clever design too. Thanks for sharing with us over at ‘The Flower Challenge’. (It hasn’t linked properly though. Can you try linking it again, I tried but not able to save your photo properly as a jpg.) Viv DT xx
Thank you, Viv! I think I fixed the issue…hope it didn’t cause too much trouble. The inspiration on your challenge is fantastic!
This chalkboard technique creates a gorgeous look! The subtle and muted colors are just right for a sympathy card! Thank you so much for joining us at The Flower Challenge!
Thank you, TaeEun!
Stunning! beautifully crafted card. Thanks for entering your wonderful creation at The Crafter’s Cafe this fortnight for our “Embossing or Fancy Folds” challenge.
Thank you for your lovely comment, Cass!