Washi Tape Piecing Technique – Just Married VW Van Card
I’m back designing today with the Crafting By Designs team for their newest challenge! This challenge has a prize of TWO digital stamps from All Dressed Up Stamps. The theme is “Love,” so I created a Just Married Congrats Card using the Just Married digital stamp from All Dressed Up Stamps and a washi tape piecing technique for this colorful wedding card.
It’s always fun to color digital images, and this one is no different. But I wanted to make it different. I tried a few drafts, but just wasn’t happy with it. Something was missing.
Since this van reminded me of my Mom, I decided to call her. Her flower power inspired me to decorate this van the way someone might have painted it in the 60s: with flowers!! But there’s one problem with that: I’m terrible at drawing — That’s why I started stamping so many years ago! So I used some washi tape she had recently given me. The steps for my “washi-piecing” technique I used are outlined below.
Thanks for the washi tape, Mom! Look what I did with the colorful pattern!
How to use washi tape to “color” an image (“Washi-piecing”):
1. Print out (or stamp) your image twice, and choose your washi tape.
2. Apply your pretty tape evenly over the part of the image you want to color.
3. Cut out the part of the image “colored” with washi tape. I did this with a craft knife on my self-healing mat (what I use when I’m cutting fabric for quilts).
4. Glue your washi-colored piece to the second image you printed/stamped.
5. Color the rest of your image as desired to match!
6. Use your now beautified image to create your card or project. I used the washi tape again on my card to play up the pattern, layred everything with some balmy blue and mango melody cardstock, and added a Congratulations banner to the top.
With this wedding card, I’m playing along with the following challenges:
- All Dressed Up Challenge #89 – January Anything ADU Goes
- Angie’s Digital Stamps – Challenge #28 AG, Twist Love
- Crafty Cardmakers – #227 Love Love Love
- Shopping Our Stash – #389 Make Your Mark
Feel free to check out my other wedding card ideas:
- Window Wedding Card — From Basic to Extra!
- 2 Embossing Techniques With the Same Folder!
- Watercoloring until the Rain Stops and the Rainbow Appears!
Thanks for checking out Laura’s Craft Closet and I hope you look at the other inspirational LOVE-themed creations at Crafting By Designs and link up your own lovely cards! I hope you found this washi tape piecing technique useful. Please let me know if you do and comment below, and of course subscribe if you haven’t already to always be learning fun paper crafting techniques! Happy Crafting!!