Watercoloring until the Rain Stops and the Rainbow Appears!

With all of the rain we were having here in Pennsylvania this weekend, I was inspired to bring out my paint brushes and play with some watercoloring techniques.
watercoloring in lauras craft closet
I don’t often do much watercoloring. I can be a bit messy in my small craft closet ha ha! So when my inks and brushes emerge and I fill my beaker with water, you can bet I’m going to play for awhile and create more than just a single card!
First I found a few colors that worked well together.

SU stamp pads used for watercolor cards

I love this combo! Berry Burst, More Mustard, Lemon-Lime Twist, Bermuda Bay

Then, after playing around and testing how much ink was necessary to make the colors as bright as I wanted, I made a background with these colors brushed across and another where they were splashed and dripping down.

Embossing an image will resist watercolors (check out this dandelion card tutorial on how to achieve this easy technique). I started pulling out a few fun stamp sets that would feature this effect well. Here’s what I came up with:

I’m playing along with a few challenges today:

There’s always a rainbow after a storm. Happy Crafting!

Are you interested in getting the right tools for your own watercolor cards? Check them out below!

SaveSave

You may also like...

28 Responses

1. lollthompson says:

Your rainbow splashes are so pretty Laura! Great design with the container of brushes and sentiment that is a perfect match. Your set of rainbow cards are all beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Watercolour!

2. Karen Petitt says:

Lovely cards Laura and thank you for the lovely comment on my blog too Karen x

3. Bonnie says:

Rainy days are perfect for watercolor projects! You’ve created several lovely backgrounds, Laura! I love the rainbow colors and the artsy look of the pot of paintbrushes! Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Watercolour!

4. maria f. says:

Just love that rainbow of steam rising from the coffee cup. It’s perfect.

5. Sue says:

A lovely set of rainbow cards. Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers Watercolor Challenge.

6. Heidi Weaver says:

What a lovely collection of rainbow cards, Laura. While they’re all well done, my favourite is the bride and groom. The misty effect of the rainbow colours surrounds them in a wonderful wish for happiness. Thanks so much for joining our HLS July Watercolour Challenge.

• Thank you Heidi! When I make a wedding card, I usually try to use their reception colors, so this one was a bit different but I like how you think it looks like a wish for happiness! How wonderful!

7. Jane Taylor says:

Love your watercolour rainbow backgrounds, Thanks for playing at AAA Cards.

8. Viv says:

Great set of rainbow cards – watercolouring at it’s best! Thanks for sharing with us at Stamping Sensations!

9. What a beautiful collection of watercolor cards! Great job! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D ‘Tea and/or Coffee’ challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.
    Darlene
    DOUBLE D Challenge Blog
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please stop in for a visit!

10. You delicious colors all summery and wonderful make great backgrounds for all of these cards. Good idea to break out the watercolors and do a bunch as long as your were in a rainbow mood. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D Tea and/or Coffee challenge!
    Barbara DT Member

11. Vicki R. says:

Fun card with water color steam from the coffee cup! Thanks for joining the Double D, “Tea or Coffee” Challenge.

12. cmayne says:

Such a lovely array of rainbow cards; you’ve certainly mastered the water-colour background technique! Like Maria, I’m especially smitten with the coffee-themed card! Your birthday card: sheer delight – and how thrilled we are that you shared this one in the Inkspirational gallery!
    ~carol

• I’m so glad you like the cards, Carol!! I really enjoy playing with watercolor backgrounds–there are so many possibilities! Thanks for stopping by and I’m looking forward to the next Inkspirational challenge 🙂

13. Elaine says:

I love your rainbow splashes. Thanks for playing along at AAA Cards

14. Tracie Pond Designs says:

Thank you for sharing your rainbow technique. Beautiful cards. Thank you for sharing with us at AAA Cards. =) Tracie

Leave a Comment - I do a little happy dance for each one!

%d bloggers like this: